History of the village
History of Borova begins several centuries ago. Borova was first mentioned in a written record in 1349 as a parish of St. Margaret church. At that time the village belonged to the royal dowry town of Policka and partly to Lichumburk. A big fire in Policka in 1845 destroyed many written records about the whole region, including Borova and its inhabitants, for a period of at least two centuries. Thus it remains undocumented what impact some important events (e.g. the Thirty Year War) had on Borova and its inhabitants. The history of Borova is closely associated with the neighbouring, older, village of Oldris; both these villages are located along the Black creek.
Catholic church of St. Margaret was founded by the Benedictins (Black monks) – namely George of Horni Police – in 14th century. The church is very well preserved and valuable. The St. Catherine church in the upper part of the village was founded around the same time. An Evangelic church with a manse were founded only at the end of 18th century. The church is located in the lower part of the village, near the St. Margaret church. Settlement of the village has developed around the Black creek valley, on both banks of the creek. The terrain is flatter in the upper part of the village therefore the settlement has developed further into several isolated habitations. Hamlets have also developed in the southern part of the village, by the Borova forest. The upper part of the village is located alongside a main (first class) road while the central and lower part of Borova lies along the Black creek and a second class road. Settlement of this part of the village has developed into a continous and uninterrupted build-up area. Typical for this region are self standing low farm houses of the so-called “Policka” type, partly wooden and partly brick buildings.
A school was built in Borova around 1700, first a wooden one, replaced by a stone building in 1892.
There were two important institutions founded in the second half of 19th century in Borova, serving its needs for communication with other areas:
- A post office was founded in Borova in 1874, servicing a broader area including distant villages such as Pusta Rybna and Breziny.
- Construction of a railroad Svitavy-Policka-Skutec started in 1896-7 and a railway station for both passenger and freight was established in Borova; tracks were laid down on July 3 – 6, 1897 and the first train ran through it on August 18 of the same year.